My sensor keeps disconnecting. What's happening?
Sensor disconnection can happen for a number of reasons - the most common are the sensor being out of range or the battery power is getting low.
Signs of Disconnection
- You'll see that your temperature data is not changing (or has been replaced by dashes) and the blue circle is animated as the app tries to reconnect automatically and update the temperature.
Reasons for Disconnection
- The sensor can disconnect unexpectedly for a number of reasons, usually low battery in the sensor or the person being monitored goes too far away from the phone (5 metres or 16 feet).
- Bluetooth connections use low-energy and so the signal from the sensor can be lost if, say, a person moves into a different room and leaves the phone or tablet behind.
- If the sensor keeps disconnecting and the sensor appears to be in full working order, it can be a sign the battery is getting tired even though you may not have had a low battery warning yet. Please refer to our article on battery life.
The Result of Disconnection
- When connection is lost unexpectedly (i.e. you didn't deliberately stop monitoring or close the app) the app will automatically try to re-establish the connection.
- It will keep doing this until the connection is re-established.
- After approximately ten minutes an audible alarm will go off. You can change the time the app sounds the alert on the Account page under 'Time to mute sounds'. An alert will sound unless you have disabled alert sounds in the Account page or have the sound turned off on your device.
- While the blue circle is animating, you can stop the retry process by tapping inside the circle. You'll have to confirm you want this stopped in case you tapped the circle accidentally.
Note: When you tap in the blue circle and confirm to stop the automatic reconnection, the app doesn't always react straight away as there are a number of tasks it has to complete internally. It will stop after no more than ten seconds.
Need specific support?
Please email email@example.com direct.